Welcome to my online photography journal

my aim is to keep a written record of notes, thoughts, musings, and any old notions that pass through my over active brain as it relates to the field, craft, and love of photography. The opinions expressed herein are just that, opinions.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Simplifying My Photography Process

K.I.S.S. the acronym for Keep It Simple Stupid is a mantra I put to use in all aspects of my life especially photography.
 In 2011  I made a decision to limit my business spending and attempt to utilize what equipment I had on hand. This really forced me to take an honest look at my inventory and assess what I had on hand versus what I actually needed.
The pitfall of being a photographer, especially in the digital age,  is the problem of Acquisition Syndrome. One day I have what I think to be all I need to get the job done and then the newest lens or camera body offering is announced and I go off buying that forgetting it's not always the best equipment that takes the best image. The newest equipment may make my job easier in the end but in reality all it does is obsoletes the equipment I currently own which gets the job done just fine. The $2200 camera body I bought in 2008 rated for 200,000 shutter actuations has only 3800 currently on it and at 12MP is all I need right now. The newest Nikon D800 comes in at an awesome 36MP but do I really need that for the work I'm doing now? No. So that $3000 can go to other uses like overhead and marketing.
In laying out all my gear: camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment etc I was amazed at the amount of stuff I had accumulated most of which I never use. Some of it I had forgotten I own. Alas, the majority of it has depreciated in value to the point where I might as well just keep it, find a use for it or donate it. This method of Keeping It Simple not only applies to the financial side of my business but to the creative side as well.
Whether in my studio or out on location I would always haul out lots of equipment and all that really did was confuse me and distract me from the main goal of capturing some decent images.

One photographer I really respect is Zack Arias out of Atlanta, GA. He has a workshop he teaches entitled One Light and as you can guess he uses one light source to capture some pretty amazing portraits and headshots. Most of the lighting gear I have is best suited for my studio so I took his advice and got 1 heavy duty light stand, 1 28" softbox which folds like an umbrella for easier travel and setup and rely on a single Nikon SB-600 SpeedLight with wireless triggers and I am good to go. I can use ambient light as a second light source and I can get great images all day long with limited equipment which most importantly is off-camera.

Another photographer I just recently became aware of is Peter Hurley, a NYC headshot photographer whose studio setup is very simple and allows him more time to actually work with the client. I have gotten so wrapped up in the equipment aspect that I forget the most important part of the shoot is standing in front of my camera.
While his setup would cost me a small fortune the basis of it is the lighting is always set up one way and easily transformed with the click of some switches to vary between male and female headshots. His camera is tethered to an Apple and while he is shooting he is showing the client high quality proofs and editing the session as he goes. The large image also acts as a learning tool for the client as they can see what is or isn't working and where they need to go in terms of expression to get the best image. That image on the back of the camera will always look small and sharp but is it really???
While watching a video about his setup I realized I have the capabilities to replicate this and spend more time coaching and directing my subjects rather than messing with my gear as they sit and get bored. No good images are going to come from that.

Empowered with these two simple yet effective setups for in- studio and location shooting and my trusted camera system and backupI can get down to the business of making great images because I am not weighed down with lots of stuff and distractions and I can simply spend time with the most important asset on the set. The Subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment