Welcome to my online photography journal

my aim is to keep a written record of notes, thoughts, musings, and any old notions that pass through my over active brain as it relates to the field, craft, and love of photography. The opinions expressed herein are just that, opinions.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wedding Photography-My Process

Yikes! Another few weeks have passed without any blogging. Admittedly,I am lazy and need to make a better effort at this.
It is April and it is wedding season. I am fortunate to have been hired by a friend to shoot his daughters wedding this coming Saturday and I have been thinking alot about how I got to this point in my young career as a photographer. I ventured into this medium mostly as a creative outlet but also in an attempt to make a modest living from it, if only part time. I figure, like anything else I attempt, I would end up going "all in" and if I stuck with it why not recoup some of my initial investment.
I put much effort into mastering my first Nikon digital cameras and reading and studying as much as I could get my hands on. I shot hundreds of images ( the blessing of digital) and was able to see rapid improvement over a short period of time. God blessed me with an eye and a creative bent so coupled with my love of technology and this medium I was able to produce some fairly decent prints.
Like alot of people in my shoes, and with the digital age there are a gazillion, I was asked the inevitable question, "would you want to shoot my wedding? I can't pay you much but I am sure we could both benefit from it." Something to that effect. I said sure! I ascribe to the Herbert Spencer notion of "contempt prior to investigation" as being a stumbling block to success so I decided early on to learn all aspects of photography and then narrow my focus to a few paths. I had no idea what I was in for!
Wedding photography offers a pressure all its own. It offers exhilaration, exhaustion, humility, and a sense of being in the midst of true love and joy if only for that moment. It is a demanding and unforgiving master.
Fortunately, I come from a background in the entertainment industry where "one chance is all you get" is the norm so I felt right at home in that respect. I also have been a guest at many a wedding so I am familiar with the format. The hardest part of approaching this avenue of photography is in the business end of it. It is this that I will attempt to explain, my process at least, in my next blog.
Until then......

No comments:

Post a Comment